This made me laugh. It is just the kind of question my son (year 9) would come up with.

I haven't even thought about it! I would go with the fluid and equal pressure theory. Being upside down in water at an adult (try it) does not result in the same pressure as being upside down outside water. However, if we go with this theory - what happens when women rupture their membranes. We know it has a variety of effects on labour and the baby. But, does it also make it less comfortable for baby due to being upside down? Just thinking aloud.

I would love someone to find some evidence on this.

Rachel

From: "Bowman Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] question from Year 10 student
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:10:21 +1100

I am involved in the CoreOf Life Program for Year 10 students. It is a fun and interactive program run over a double period and is about the journey through pregnancy, labour birth and parenting. Last week when I was demonstrating positioning with doll & pelvis one of the boys asked "how come the blood doesn't rush to the baby's head like it does for us if we are upside down"
I didn't know the correct answer and said I would get back to him.
It possibly is obvious but I have asked a few peers and no-one is definite they have the correct answer. I thought I would throw it open to OzMidwifery for discussion.

Linda