I have a question for you wise ozmidders.
I was having a discussion today with one of our obstetricians regarding cord clamping, and the benefits to the baby of delaying this until pulsations cease.  When I mentioned the benefit of the baby recieving oxygenated blood via the pulsating cord which could assist it's transition to independent respiration particularly if it was compromised (etc etc)  the obs was of the view that the pulsations could NOT be providing oxygenated blood because the uterus would have contracted down and the placenta could no longer be getting oxygen from mother's circulation.
Now I know that I have read reams on this and this is stated to be one of the benefits, but I could not answer that particular question physiologically and convincingly.
The point was also raised that in shoulder dystocia, babies die of asphyxiation, which (obs opinion) would not happen if they were recieving oxygen via the cord.
I did print off George Morley's excellent papers for this Dr to read but would very much welcome anything that can show that the baby would still be receiving oxygenated blood post birth.

TIA
Sue

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke