Does anyone know the current options for delivering at Westmead? I am
rather frustrated with my brother's girlfriend's GP who seems to be
handling her unexpected pregnancy rather haphazardly. She is only 21,
and knows nothing, the baby being unplanned. He told her the 12 weeks NT
u/s was compulsory. Then when she said she wanted to deliver at
Blacktown, he told her she wasn't allowed to because she was closer
geographically to Westmead. He gave her a general hospital enquiry
number and told her to ring the hospital. She did and they told her they
couldn't see her until March (she is due in May). She has no idea
whether she spoke to an antenatal clinic or to the team midwife program
(is that still running? I was booked in there when we lived in Sydney).
They are planning to move up her (Central Coast) before the birth, so I
suggested they just booked in up here to the community midwives, and
just travel for appointments until they move, but the doctor told her
again that she *had* to go to Westmead. She is worried about not seeing
anyone until March (no wonder, first pregnancy and all) except this GP.
But she won't listen to my suggestions and thinks she has to do exactly
what her GP tells her. I wanted to at least clarify what the delivery
options at Westmead are so I can have a talk with her about who she
talked to who told her March, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Nicola Morley
Trainee Doula