From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mary Murphy
Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2005 7:43 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Mother/baby friendly

Excuse cross-posting, but this is very pertinent. MM

NICE consultation supports breastfeeding and Baby Friendly; immediate public input requested

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence has issued two documents for consultation which could have a dramatic influence on efforts to promote and protect breastfeeding in England and Wales.

The public consultation is now open but ends on 30 November. Public endorsement of strong and effective recommendations by NICE is likely to ensure that the resulting document is fully supportive of sound breastfeeding practice.

The clinical Postnatal Care Guideline gives recommendations on what constitutes 'core care' and should be available to all mothers and babies in the postnatal period. Core care is described in three areas: infant feeding, maintaining maternal health and maintaining infant health.

A small number of recommendations are indentified as Key Priorities for implementation, including that 'All maternity care providers should implement an externally evaluated structured programme that encourages breastfeeding using the Baby Friendly Initiative as a minimum standard'.

Much of the 'core care' in infant feeding is that described by the Baby Friendly best practice standards, including skin-to-skin contact, early initiation of breastfeeding, rooming-in, feeding on demand, routine and effective information and support to mothers.

The document also compares the costs of implementing the Baby Friendly standards and achieving accreditation with the savings to be made from the lower treatment costs which would result. It concludes that 'it is highly likely that the Initiative 'is cost-effective'.

Issued at the same time as the care guidelines, a Public Health Action Briefing makes recommendations for actions required to increase the initiation and duration of breastfeeding.

This also recommends that 'the UNICEF UK Baby Friendly Initiative should be implemented as routine practice across NHS Trusts in England'.

A wide range of recommendations for action are made, including effective education for health professionals, changes to health care practices, media programmes and peer support. Practice changes required for Baby Friendly accreditation are promoted, including exclusive breastfeeding, rooming-in, demand feeding and an end to promotion for artificial feeding.

When issued, the NICE guidelines will provide a sound foundation to support breastfeeding promotion work throughout the health services.