Brenda I love your idea!
Weather a hospital is baby or mother friendly or not, is kind of a moot point these days, you are booted out the door so fast. When I had my first child, having just moved to a small country town, no friends or family I was very much on my own, in reflection it was quite a lonely experience. Having some where to stay longer than a few days, for women who have no support would make all the difference. It would be fantastic to see a trust started for lower income women who could apply to the trust to have a doula for support during the birth and in the first weeks and months (maybe it could be government funded??? here's hoping). I am only just being to realise how important the experience a mother has in the first few weeks and months of her babys life really is to her, what an imprint it leaves on her heart and psyche. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Glare & Chris Bright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:03 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Mother friendly hospitals

Hi,

I really disagree that baby friendly hospitals are OK for the baby but tough on the mother. And if your baby friendly hospital is tough on the mother, then you should be looking at why - because it shouldn't be that way. The newborn mother and baby are a unit. They both surely need to be cared for as though they were one. I think it's part of the problem of society that mothers and babies are pitted against each other almost from birth.

Mothers and babies are both usually happier and calmer when together. If a mother is of the believe that she needs the baby away from her to rest, a common enough belief in our society, maybe all that needs to happen is a little empathy and good explanations from the staff "I know you are tired, but what we find is that mothers and babies actually rest better when they rest together." Just like you would explain to a mum that she doesn't need to rush off straight away and have a shower - there'll be time for that later. Her baby needs to smell her familiar smell and get to know his mum (and breastfeed) Surely hospitals can be flexible enough for staff to take the baby for a while if needed - carrying in a sling is great modelling for the mum and keeps baby calm, or dad or grandma can help out.

For every mother I hear when I'm assessing baby friendly hopitals who say they would have liked a nursery, I hear many, many more whom the staff told that they must be tired and they would take the baby so the mother could rest - the mothers lay unsleeping and rigid in their beds, worrying if that baby they could hear crying was their baby.

Barb