We do the newborn examination after birth but then recommend that they go for the 5 - 10 day well baby check with their GP. This is just since we have been working as a birth centre.
Cheers
Judy

Helen and Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi everyone

I have a question regarding midwives performing the newborn examination postnatally prior to discharge.
Having worked in several hospitals, I am used to this exam being performed by a doctor/paediatrician.  The midwife does an initial check at birth but on about day 3 o! r 4, or at least prior to discharge, a thorough physical examination performed, including fundoscopy etc. by a doctor.

Interested in your experiences and for those of you who do perform it, have you had any further education on the subject?

Cheers

Helen Cahill

Do you Yahoo!?