Thank you for letting us know about Joan's passing, Kirsten.  She is much loved in Canada, too.  Gloria

One of the most special woman I have ever met has left us. She was a role model to me and many others I’m sure. I had the pleasure of meeting her when I was studying at AUT and talked with her often. It is a sad day for all NZ midwives and woman, and I’m sure Joan also touched many here in Australia.

Joan has achieved so much for midwifery worldwide, may she rest peacefully and may her struggles and fights still be remembered and continue to be  fought by us all.

Kirsten

Text from today's NZ Herald:
Donley, Elsa Joan (nee Carey) O.B.E.
On December 4, 2005 at Northaven Hospital, Whangaparaoa; aged 89 years
Mother of Robert, Derelys, David, Adrian and Patrick.
Grandmother of Robert, Geoffrey, Michael, Tamarin, Mandy, Shaun, Graeme, Steven, Matthew, Lauren, Hayden and Vanessa.
Great Grandmother of Madeleine, Hunter, Chloe and Riley.
Joan was an internationally acclaimed advocate for normal birth, and in the 1980's had a key role in the establishment of the New Zealand College of Midwives.  As the well established matriarch of Midwifery Joan's knowledge and wisdom will be sorely missed, but those seeking a healthier birth and upbringing for their children will find Joan's compendium for a healthy pregnancy and a normal birth, a legacy of her wisdom.
Thanks to the staff at Northaven Hospital for their care.
A service will be held at the North Shore Memorial Park Crematorium Chapel, 235 Schnapper Rock Road, Albany at 1.00pm on Wednesday December 7 to be followed by interment.
In lieu of flowers donations to the Joan Donley Research Collaboration, P.O. Box 21106, Christchurch would be appreciated.
H Morris Funeral Services.