Title: Message
Barb , Thanks so much for the info. Sounds like its my friend cup of tea! She has the application form for current positions. I'm sure you will all love her up there as much as we do here on the coast.
Cheers Di.
----- Original Message -----
From: B & G
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:53 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Job in Brisbane?

Hi Di,
I work at Redcliffe. The district incorporates Caboolture Hospital so if one is casual can work between the 2 hospitals. Distance between is 32km's. Caboolture has about 1600 births per year and Redcliffe about 1200. These numbers have  increased by about 20% in the past 12-18 months. Both have level 2 SCN and both send <34 weeks to the Tertiary hospitals RBWH or Mater.
We are in the process of introducing a 12 month trial of 3 models of care across the district as part of the North Lakes Development - discussion and planning stage at present hopefully commencing early next year. The three are: small team caseload, group care based on an American project of developing a sense of community amongst the women so group AN care and education and the last is a GP-Midwife partnership model of care.
At present we have 2 midwife clinics each week with 2 Medical clinics where midwives also see women. these are primarily of higher risk or routine Dr's visits at 21, 35-37 or 41 weeks. Caboolture also has Midwives clinics. Unfortunately although we are in the same district there is less 'interference' to midwives practice at Caboolture. We are able to self roster to work in all areas- one day BS next shift maybe post natal- Birth Suite, post natal, ante-natal, SCN or Home Maternity Service so we are able to keep skills up and hopefully keep the family happy. Night duty isn't an option we all do our share. It may take time to get to ANC or HMS due to the small numbers working there in comparison. There has traditionally been a low turnover of staff here.
Queensland Health encourages opportunities for country service- short term secondments as well. I recently declined going to Longreach for 6 weeks because of the new models of care being introduced. I have been out twice now to Emerald Hospital. Fabulous self and professional development to attend to women with no anaesthetic back up for epidurals, using all your midwifery skills supporting them through the birth and they are just so thankful. Of course there is RFDS back up for major problems.
At both Caboolture and Redcliffe there are very active midwives in the ACMI Qld branch and I am also on the QNU Executive. Caroline Weaver previous ICM President is presently Executive Director of Nursing so is very aware of contemporary midwifery practices. Redcliffe Hospital phone number is 07 883 7777 and ask for Caroline if you wish to find out more. Job advertisements for midwives and specifically included DEM went out 2 weeks ago and close 19/12 primarily to expand our numbers to roll out the new models of care. Look on www.health.qld.gov.au for jobs listings as well.
Like many hospitals in Queensland many midwives are on contract basis often month to month before a permanent position becomes available but there is plenty of work around. Selangor Private is about 40-60 minutes north and RBWH about the same south in peak hour. The Mater is just dreadful trying to drive south across the Brisbane river in peak hour- it used to take me one and a half hours to get there for a day shift. If one plans to work there you need to live much closer and on the south side.
Mango Hill incorporates North Lakes (yet to be given separate designation) and it includes a Westfields North Lakes Shopping Centre. North Lakes has just won an international award for integrated planning. It has been developing for the past 7-8 years so all new fresh housing, private and state schools and child Care centres. I live behind this new development at Deception Bay. The Bay has had a bad rap many years ago but is expanding ++ in recent times. The waterfront is mangroves and tidal. Large parts of this foreshore includes the Maritime National park of the same name. Great foreshore for walking ones dog, setting the tinny on the water or fishing for whiting from the banks.
I hope that has answered yours and others questions. I look forward to many midwives seeking a change to join us in this lovely part of Queensland.
Cheers Barb