I don't think it matters what you call them so long as you avoid euphemisms, of which we are currently sprouting plenty. They're a symptom of our obstetric culture to have perfectly healthy women having dangerous surgery they don't need. Most research I read on caesareans for true medical necessity put the figure at around 5% (give or take) and given that most "elective" caesareans occur in this country solely as a result of previous surgery, they are utterly unnecessary. I feel deely disturbed that we have so lost touch with what caesareans are, and what they're for, that we no longer have the appropriate reaction that we would to any other form of unnecessary surgery - abhorrence. I don't believe in the "too posh to push" label as it obscures what's really happening. Our birthing culture, and the discourse around it, is now defined by surgeons and to surgeons, surgery is normal. There is a vicious nexus of commerce and misogygny, both external and internal, that has led us to a point where birthing potential is despised and negated. It is inherently pathological to cause deliberate damage to a healthy body and completely contrary to the notion of doing no harm. I think the language involved in this harmful practice is vital and I feel that neither "elective" nor "scheduled" actually describes anything in a genuine manner. How about we call it for what it is, and maybe begin to jolt our scalpel-complacent society out of thinking that major surgery is just another way to give birth? The last obstetric document I read on the language of caesarean argued that in truth they should be called hysterotomies. I wonder how many of us would line up for something that sounds like that? It's just surgery, plain ole, unnecessary surgery.
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:51 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Scheduled Caesareans...?

One of the women in my forums posted this comment which I think is very interesting, while I know there are far too many c/s as is, I think she has a valid point. What do you think?

“I was just thinking that the name 'elective C/S' should be changed to 'scheduled C/S'. So many people don't elect caesareans but have them as a matter of medical necessity and the term elective implies a choice that may not exist and IMO probably contributes to the whole 'too posh to push' perception that alot of people have of scheduled C/S's.......”

I know that lots of these scheduled caesarians are probably unnecessary, but of course some aren’t.

Best Regards,

Kelly Zantey
Creator,
BellyBelly.com.au
Gentle Solutions For Conception, Pregnancy, Birth & Parenthood
BellyBelly Birth Support