Sounds like Mongolian spots to me. You tend to see them more often on babies with dark or olive skin and they eventually fade but it can take a few years. They look like bruises and are usually situated over the lower back or buttocks.
Leanne.

<P><FONT face=Verdana size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=left>&nbsp;</P></div></html>

From: "Julie Garratt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Blue patches on neonate
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:38:18 +1030

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me why a newborn baby, only minutes old can sometimes have blue patches on its torso. I've seen it only once before and it was fairly transient, lasting an hour or so. The baby I caught today was alert and active after a totally drug free birth but had funny blue patches in a quiet symmetrical pattern on its body ( over kidneys ect,) . It was also rather acrocyanosed.
 Has anyone else seen this?
I imagine it has something to do with transition from neonatal circulation but would really appreciate it if someone can explain the physiology of what is happening or even what its called so I can look it up.
Looking forward to your wisdom,
Julie:)