Hi Emily,

What I've read of the dive reflex (especially in relation to water birth) is that it is a reflex where the epiglottis stays closed, therefore not letting water enter the lungs.  While there is fluid in the lungs prior to birth, this is secreted by the lungs and some of it is excreted and is a component of the liquor.  The breathing movements that the baby makes prior to birth do not cause the outside fluid to enter the lungs. They say that the dive reflex will stay intact if the baby is not exposed to a different temperature, and the baby is not hypoxic.

A tip passed on to me (in regard to waterbirth) was that if the baby was born and brought to the surface, was in good condition but not breathing, then gently bringing the baby's chin down with your finger and opening the mouth will break the dive reflex.  I remember one waterbirth where the baby was brought to the surface, had great heart rate, excellent tone (actively pedalling her legs!) but wasn't breathing.  After a few seconds (and because the parent's were getting anxious) I opened her mouth and she immediately began breathing.

Cheers
Michelle

Emily <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hi jenny
 thats not what ive read about it. i have read about the diversion of blood flow to essential areas due to prostaglandin E2 increases around labour time, but think this is separate to the dive reflex

'One more important inhibitory reflex is the Dive Reflex, which involves the larynx. ...when a solution hits the back of the throat, passing the larynx, the taste buds interpret what substance it is and the glottis automatically closes. The solution is then swallowed, not inhaled...'     - Heart and Hands

emily

Jenny Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The dive reflex ! is a term used to describe the newborns ability to close off peripheral circulation and redirect the majority of its blood supply to the brain, heart and adrenals. It is a protective mechanism to ensure the vital organs are kept functioning in times of critically low oxygen. It is called the 'seal diving reflex' because seals do it to survive the freezing waters when diving for food etc. It has nothing to do with inhaling water or other fluids. Cheers
Jenny

Jennifer Cameron FRC! NA FACM
President NT branch ACMI
PO Box 1465