Perhaps we need to get away from due dates altogether. Instead of giving women an edd, maybe saying that if your baby has not arrived by x date we can discuss various options. I agree, that when we give women a particular date they fix on it. As do their family and friends = lots of pressure as the date comes and goes. Doesn't matter how much we tell them the 38-42wk thing - they are aiming for that 40wk due date.

From: "Janet Fraser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Resounding failure of "active labour management"
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:03:16 +1100

It really does and the overwhelming focus on the 40 week mark means that women are freaking out by 40+3 convinced they'll never go into labour and really upset and angry. There's no point saying "term is 38-42, you're quite ok" because they have the fear of god in them about the mythical 40+10 which means induction. Bloody terrible! It was so different planning a home birth and just floating about high on endorphins knowing no one was going to hassle me. Too many women, ie the majority, really miss out on this. We need that ridiculous compulsory induction before 42 weeks to just end. I'm so tired of giving postdates info to women at 39 weeks who are already being pressured by their hospital because "If you don't go into labour by x date we will induce you!"
Who can labour with that hanging over them?