Hi Sue,

My experience with this (and advice from neonatologists), in a term healthy baby, is that you observe as any other jaundice and dont have to be extra aggressive. For the few direct coombs pos babies I have watched p/n at home there was no sudden increase in jaundice although obviously the fully breast feed ones took a bit longer to clear. Suzi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue Cookson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:59 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Direct Coombs positive

Hi all,
Just wondering if any of you have experience with babies who come up with a poistive Direct Coombs test? A cord blood sample from a newborn showed baby was A pos with anti-A antibodies - they would have been passively transferred from the
O neg mum.
It's pretty likely therefore to be an ABO incompatibility which seems to be a minor issue.

Have done a few bilirubin levels which are all way under the range for even phototherapy (58 hours was 215), but the GP involved is being really precious about it all - as if it's likely the baby will suddenly set up major problems. Obviously baby is feeding well, alert, only mildly jaundiced by observation, well and truly cleared his mec...
Any comments??

Sue