Dear All,

Thanks for the continuing information re diabetes insipidus and breastfeeding.  I returned to work to note this mother was bottle feeding, no reporting by midwives postnatally about breastfeeding.  I did note in her records LMO wrote “ to trial breastfeeding” and on rounds this am asked how the feeding was going.

Unfortunately, with no encouragement in the first 24 hours, mother is well settled into bottle feeding.  I have suggested never too late to start but got no where.

Actually a disappointing breastfeeding shift today as a day 11, post LSCS mum of 34/35 gestation prem in our unit to learn breastfeeding, on 3/24 tube feeds with a couple of breast feeding attempts.  Tired baby, has not got the sucking organised, is gaining weight.  Has had its more wakeful times at night but given bottle feeds.

Mother very fragile today as now a wound infection, tired, nipples sore adamant about baby having bottle.  Tried a few seconds of supply line, but mother too negative  and of course baby “woofed “ bottle down!

Got that all off my chest!

In the middle of all that, had a great but vocal birth, baby breast feeds great!

Bye, Barbara, Parkes