Hi Maxine,
                  At Townsville Hospital, women who are insulin dependant see the lactation consultant ante-natally and if they are planning to breast feed, she discusses the option of expressing and freezing in case her baby needs it. These babies always go to the nursery for observation and get regular blood glucose tests done. I think they start expressing from 36 weeks but not if a history of prem labors. Hope this helps.
                                 regards    Linda
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:11 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] insulin dependant diabetics

Has anyone any information they can share regarding the management of newborns of insulin dependent diabetics?  In particular I am looking for information regarding prenatal expressing of colostrum in order to feed it to the babe in place of formula.  If anyone knows of any hospital that is doing this I would really appreciate some leads that I can follow up as I have a client in this situation who is trying to expand her options.

Maxine