I thought it was more so that the woman wasn't stuck in the room - she can go for a walk to the coffee shop or in the garden or something.  Just to normalise labour a bit for those considered a bit more high risk.

Jo

On 28/04/2006, at 3:19 PM, sharon wrote:

the efm on satellite systems does not subsitute for the registered midwife in the rooms. We have this at the hosp that i work in  and you still have to stay in the room with the woman whilst she is labouring. Not all clients are on moniters  and some are intermittenly monitored with a doppler hand held. I find this appaling that the midwives can even think of not bieng in the room with the woman and her partner during labour. They are used as a sort of backup so the shift co-ordinator can see what is happening in the room and also for the medical officer who is always in the labour ward to glance at sometimes as the individual midwife in the room's ability may be on different levels it is like a saftey system i guess for both the woman and the midwife attending her.
regards
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 1:25 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] EFM on satellite systems

I was at a birth the last few days @ RWH and the midwives were telling me hospitals (RWH included) are soon changing to new EFM machines which are linked to a satellite system, so women can be monitored by the midwives from the ward desk. They were joking about it too, how they could have a loudspeaker go off and ask them to adjust the monitor next, should it not be in the right spot. Does anyone know anything more about this and what are your thoughts? One to one midwifery care seems further off sometimes, which is very, very sad…

Best Regards,

Kelly Zantey
Creator,
BellyBelly.com.au
Gentle Solutions From Conception to Parenthood
BellyBelly Birth Support - http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth-support