Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re:

Hi,
With the new Konakion MM it's the other way around. It has been designed by increasing it's absorbability in fat to be more affective if given orally. It has NOT been proven to be as effective as the old Konakion in being absorbed by the IM route. They are waiting to see if the surveillance of the new Konakion through Australia, Switzerland and a few other countries is as effective IM as it is oral. The oral route has been found to give a higher vit K cover than the IM route over a few weeks.

THere is so much misinformation about vit K. It is available to the baby through breastmilk and maternal supplementation does increase neonatal serum K levels. What more do we want??

And by the way, all formla fed babies should be excluded from any study due to the addition of vit K to formulas. ie babies planned to be formula fed do not need vit k!!

Sue
student midwife
birth practitioner
vit K has been my research assignment for the past three years
If a solution is designed to be given IM is it absorbed effectively if given via the GI tract ?
No mention of this in the literature accompanying the Konakion.
Most IM meds are NOT designed to be administered or guaranteed by the pharmaceutical company to be effective if given orally.
It may be neutralised by gastric secretions, I am unaware of any research re this.
Anyone else know of any ?

If you are going to introduce a foreign substance into the GI tract of a baby you'd want to have a good reason & be sure that it was being absorbed  wouldn't you ?

With kind regards
Brenda Manning
www.themidwife.com.au