Hi Michelle,

CTG's have been proven to be very inaccurate, for various reason such as interpretation etc.  In fact 80% of all CTG's will show some abnormality, which is staggering considering  it is such a widely spread and heavily relied on tool.  Why is it used?, because in most hospital's it is the best available.  That is why some places are moving from CTG alone towards biophysical profiles in birth suite which is far more accurate.  Often a suspicious CTG will be shown ok with BPP and the women is left alone without further interference and vice vera.

Very sad......

----- Original Message -----
From: Sadie
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2006 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] CTG & stillbirth

CTG's can only reveal what is happening at that moment and are subjective to interpretation. Often a CTG can look positively awful, and yet after FBS the pH is fine - and how often have many of us taken an emergency C/S to theatre because of a trace that was not reassuring - to have a screaming, healthy baby emerge (thank goodness, as you are on stand-by with resus). This is very sad Michelle, but you cannot say this has happened because CTG's are unreliable. The CTG at 3pm was probably reflecting accurately - and the poor midwife who was responsible for performing that CTG will be feeling bad enough as it is.
Just my thoughts having been through a similar situation..................

Sadie