hi Belinda,

I have personal experience with this recently, and I think I'll mail you off line about it. I didn't write this just under an impression and maybe it was just something that went haywire as a one off.

The hours are extremely flexible, the reason mostly for the 12 hour in hospital will be due to the complicated women they now get as it is an all risk model normal laboring women are seen at home or keep in contact with her midwife until they are established and come into hospital then, so 12 hours later if they are still going and all is well (or not) t he midwife may well stay on (I recently did 15hours) it depends on how she is feeling what is happening what her day has been like etc.

The complexity is in being an all risk model. It is not perfect but keep in mind the literature does show that it is continuity of care rather that carer that results in increased satisfaction etcetera. It is also a model that is working through many teething problems, staff turnovers, personality, experience and practice differences (the groups don't choose who they work or partner with, which has been shown to be a key factor in successful group practice models) and I am not saying that is specifically a problem here but does add to the complexity of working in this type of service.

I absolutely agree that continuity of care has increased satisfaction, but you have to be able to promise this absolutely and not be let down at the end. And as we both know experience and phylosophy can seriously change the group dynamic.

There is still a lot of work to be done in getting the support and collaborative working relationships, respect etc across the board that would increase the effectiveness and decrease fragmentation and make the workload more manageable for the midwives...

I also agree with this but part of it has to be midwives dedication to the work they take on and if they want to provide that continuity then they should be willing to put themselves wholeheartedly into it. working 1 or 2 days a week must make this pretty difficult. I certainly couldn't manage my case load only working 2 days a week and don't cry off my women when I get tired.

Thanks Belinda this is the most stimulating conversation for ages, especially since the other mails I've made recently on other subjects don't seem to have made it onto the list.... Lisa