From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Astra Joynt
Sent: Tuesday, 20 June 2006 8:32 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Manual rotation

Hi eveyone, I am a first year Bmid student who has recently joined the list, and have been getting a lot out of reading the posts on various subjects. Now I'm wanting to ask advice on an issue that I have been trying to resolve since early on in my clinical experience. Without going into the whole story, I witnessed a digital rotation, or manual rotation of the baby of a woman in late first stage of labour, and a cascade of issues followed. In debriefing with my lecturers at uni, I was told this is not good or safe practice at any time. I then witnessed the same midwife perform this procedure again a few weeks later. Debriefing with a clinical educater, I was told it is an 'old skill', and certain very experienced midwives still practice it. Then my clinical supervisor refuted this and said it is dangerous and has no place in midwifery practice.This is a very brief summary of these conversations, but I hope you get the gist. Anyway, I was happy with this, until I read in Mayes Midwifery the other day that this procedure can be used to help turn a posterior baby!! I am completely confused! Safe, or not? Evidence based, or not? I would really appreciate any light cast on this subject... and just in case no one knows what I mean by digital rotation (if this is not the common term for it) It is the midwife using her fingers internally to sort of hook the baby's head (cervix fully dilated I guess, or close to it) and turn it into a more optimal position, using her own strength and accompanied by the woman actively pushing. I just want to also say that I know this is not something that should be occuring in any normal straightforward birth, but what other information or experience to you have,
                                                             warm regards, Astra