Hi all,

I am having preliminary thoughts about starting some kind of sponsorship program for midwifery exchange. Earlier this year I met a Finnish obstetrician, who only does gynegology and homebirths at the moment. ( Only 4-6 homebirths / year. We only have some 20 homebirths in our country..) Every year she travels to Holland to spend time with the local midwives. She said she needs this to boost her confidence and get inspiration for what she does. After this I have been wondering if I could start to sponsor (trough my maternity business) one midwife or midwifery student every year to travel somewhere for 2 weeks or 2 months to see how women labor and give birth in the non-medicaliced environment and care. This could be spending time with a homemidwife or maybe at a birthing centre or even both. If there happened to be some great homebirth conference around the time, wouldn't that be perfect for her. I think going to Holland the language might be bit of a problem, but US, UK or Australia would be great, since most people do speak good english.

Has anyone heard of programs like this?
Are there some legal issues, I should worry about?
Do you think there would be homebirth midwives or birth centres in Australia, which would take exchangees like this?
What would be a good length for the stay?
Do you think the exchange midwife could stay at the hosting midwife's home or would she need an apartment?
Would it be better if two midwives from same unit would go, so they could share their experience and maybe be stronger to change things once they return home?
What kind of a payment you feel the hosting midwife would want for this time?

Almost twenty years ago I spent a year in Adelaide as a Rotary Exchange student. I lived with the local families and attended high school. I must say it was one of the best years in my life and it had a huge impact on my later life. It was great to learn so much about a different culture by living with these families. I am still very close to the people I stayed with and consider them my family. Have been back five times since then =). I am just thinking how much this experinece could change one midwife's views and practise...

Please share any thoughts you have about this.

Regards,

Päivi Laukkanen
Childbirth Educator
Finland