From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Johnston
Sent: Thursday, 14 September 2006 7:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ozbirthing] FW: [MCVic] Sydney Homebirth midwife &/or Doula wanted for 37wk pregnant woman!!!! Urgent!!!

From: Sue McLeod [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 14 September 2006 5:53 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

HI all,

I have just got off the phone from a very lengthy phone call to a friend in Sydney whom I have not spoken to in nearly 8 months.

She is 37 weeks pregnant. Scheduled for a hospital birth.

I educated her about homebirthing, safe space, natural birthing, oxytocin etc etc.

She had thought about homebirthing, but like so many women, followed the path she was pushed into. Has a sister in law in NZ that has had 4 kids via a homebirth so she is a passionate advocate, and today she had the misfortune (note sarcastic tone) of talking to me and me educating her for 2 hours.

So, now she is interested but worried it is too late to organise. I say it is never too late!! And I know because the universe was conspiring against me to homebirth but I still did it!

Can anyone refer me/her to a Sydney midwife that is willing to take on a woman so late in her pregnancy, and go on the journey with her, to birth her baby at home and away from hospital?

I know there are midwives dedicated and committed to being a stand for women to have incredible births, and yes she is coming into it late, and hasn’t had a chance to develop a relationship – but so what!!!!

The most important thing I think, from a birthers perspective, is to have someone there that advocates for you, and above all, trusts you and your body.

I know it is great to have had a chance to build a relationship, but I didn’t get that chance and called the midwife who ended up attending my birth, ON THE DAY of labour.  And she knows who she is, and she was utterly perfect, and that was because she trusted me and my body to do its work. So that is the most important thing I think, from my perspective – to have someone that trusts you. This is what I want for my friend.

So I am blowing horns and trumpets here and making a call to action and wanting to find my friend a midwife who can help empower her to at the very last minute, have a homebirth!!!!

OR

If, try as we might, we cannot do that, a doula who can go into hospital with her, and advocate for her and her husband, and ensure they have a great hospital birth.

So, would so very much appreciate any response and help and referrals to people!!  She is in the Baulkham Hills area.

Regards

Sue McLeod

Acorn I.T.

PO Box 4278