Kelly,

I hope you will reconsider a Midwife Directory.  From a consumer's point of
view, it is extremely useful.

Four years ago I was pregnant with my third baby when the idea of home birth
came across my radar for the first time.  With awareness of only very
mainstream sources I had a VERY VERY difficult time finding an independent
midwife.  One of the places I looked was in mainstream forums but I had no luck
there.  At that time I knew no one who knew anyone who had had a home birth and
did not know where to begin looking for a care provider.

A Midwife Directory on a site like Belly Belly could help someone in that
situation.  The existence of a Midwife Directory would also help to inform
people that there IS such a thing as an independent midwife.  Four years ago I
thought a midwife was a nurse who helped doctors deliver babies (cringe).

Rachele