Beautifully said, Lisa. Thank you!
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] FYI news article

I-----
 Every contribution counts and whilst I think I understand the point you're trying to make about reaching the mainstream, it's dangerous to begin tempering our message to better enable us to begin "marketing" it to the majority gratuitously - women and babies are not a market and our integrity is not for sale.  I fear the overstepping of that invisible line that would transform us into nothing too different from the Obs and Hospys - big business, marketed to the masses (for instance, in my personal experience, your forum/site needs to compromise a lot in order to appeal to the larger membership you enjoy; this results in some less than optimal advertising and advice, and the sad loss of some wonderful contributions and items.  Do the ends justify the means? That's a decision we each need to make, and your contribution is still significant, though not necessarily in the form I would personally choose for myself).  What is the point of a message reaching more people if the message has had to be diluted and perhaps changed in order to get there?  Nothing is simple and these aspects need to be considered.  It is the various voices of all of us that shed light on darker areas of the topic; some more straightforward and uncompromising contributions may seem difficult to hear but they're usually the most valuable and evidence-based in my experience, and I enjoy them thoroughly.

--
I agree totally with this.  I could never agree with women going to a 5 star facility instead of going home or in fact not leaving their home at all, when we know this would prevent the need in the first place.  I don't want my views to be dumbed down so that uniformed women can think they are more palitable.  The women on the thread that was posted here weren't thinking of their pregnancy birth or baby but of the fantastic offer of 5 star accommodation.  I just feel sorry for the reality that lies ahead for them after their awful birth ( published figures at Ashford the hospital in the story.... section rate 49.9% instramental rate 16%)  well I don't think they are going to be over subscribed since only 34% of women over the whole year birth normally.  Some months none do.

Lisa