----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:33 AM

Hi all u wonderful women!

Just a quick posting in line with the current debate about maternity services within country areas and who provides services.

The hospital I am currently working in has decided to address our midwife shortage but training division two nurses to work in the maternity department.

These nurses have 3 days of theory, one day of orientation in óbstetric’ and five days of clinical experience.

On completion of their modules these girls will be able to:

            Assist in the provision of antenatal nursing care to the client

            Assist in the provision of nursing care to the healthy newborn baby

            Discuss the establishment and maintenance of breastfeeding

            Assist in the evaluation of key stage of growth and development of the baby

            Assist in the provision of postnatal nursing care to the woman

This again indicates to me the lack of understanding of the needs of women (not clients). Instead of the hospital supporting midwives and creating a working environment that encourages new midwives to come to the area, they find quick fixes that only further add to the fragmentation of care.

Anyway what do u all think? And is this happening anywhere else?

Cheers Ganesha