I find that a lot of dads want to see and/or help to catch baby. Mums will often ask him if he can see anything.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Mike & Lindsay Kennedy
Sent: Monday, 9 October 2006 10:10 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] New Inventors birth seat

I understand that the back comes off so that the 'dad' (partner, support person) can cradle the woman the same way as a traditional birth chair.

On 10/7/06, Andrea Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

Only problems with this birth chair are  that it eliminates the need
for a support person behind the woman (poor dad misses out), and also
fixes the woman in a static position. Not easy for her to move about,
wriggle, rock back and forth etc if she wants to. Convenient for the
accoucher as the women is in a still position....

This birth stool has been available for some time. Without the back
rest, however (which is new) the woman tends to tilt her pelvis
forward, and can easily end up in an almost horizontal position,
because the seat on the stool slopes backwards.  The backrest puts
the woman's pelvis into a forward tilt position, which is a more
natural "drive" angle, thus overcoming a design problem (as I see it)
with the basic stool.

With traditional birth stools, the father usually sits behind the
woman and can help her into a standing position between contractions,
to assist with maintaining circulation, which is important for
avoiding perineal oedema. It also gives him close contact with her
and an important role in the whole process. I can't imagine a woman
getting up and down easily from this particular birth stool with its
backrest in place.

The invention didn't win the award on the night.....

Andrea