Re the woman I cared for who fitted because of hyponatraemia. I wondered
whether she was already low in sodium because she only ever drank reverse
osmosis filtered water and never added salt to food.  She was on a very
restricted macrobiotic diet, but not so well balanced.  Mm

I think we need to keep in mind what athletes would be drinking to replace
fluids during a 24 hour period, and remember that while women are labouring
and also resting, they are sometimes sweating and labouring in water, and so
we should surely be encouraging them to drink to quell their thirst.  Surely
we shouldn't be trying to limit the amount women drink, given that most
women find it hard to tolerate anything much in established labour...I don't
recall this woman drinking to excess, and I've certainly been at much longer
labours where a flat baby hasn't been the outcome.

Tania