Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Fwd: term breech trial
Hi Chris

I am a rural consumer, with knowledge of practices pretty much across the country.

The term breech trial has done us in.  I agree the paper turning it on its head (no pun intended!) is basically being ignored.  The only vaginal breech I hear of or see in the stats, (other than those at JHH with Andrew Bisits) in the system are the undiagnosed ones and if a woman is very lucky the 2nd twin who is dragged out by forceps after she has consented to an epidural (often the only way she will be allowed to have twins vaginally).

So what to do?

Midwives: Raise this in clinical forums and instead of presenting the evidence for vaginal breech ask Drs what their evidence is for routine c/s. If you come across women with a breech on board provide them with all the info

Consumers:  Put it out there that breech does not necessarily equal c/s and continue to mount the arguments of the furphy of risk (for much of obstetrics).  Support women we meet to demand choice.

JC

Justine Caines
National Policy Co-ordinator
Maternity Coalition Inc