I hope she wrote to the CEO of the hospital.  She should make it VERY clear this time, in writing and I would put a big sign on the baby's cot.  Is she aware that she could take legal action? The threat is usually enough.  Women and midwives must take a stand because so many of the older midwives, and women still think it's ok to give a baby formula. On the other hand, a lot of mum's insist on comps even though the midwives discuss it stressing the importance of NOT giving formula.
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of nunyara
Sent: Monday, 16 October 2006 6:12 PM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] blood gasses and other policies

Hi Barb

I had a client just last week for a pregnancy massage.  She is 31 weeks and this is her second child.  She breasted her first bub until she was about 18 months old.  However, she is TERRIFIED – not about the birth – but about her new baby being given formula whilst it is in hospital.  Apparently, this occurred with her first baby but without her knowledge and consent.  At the time, she was absolutely furious that this had occurred because she had let everyone know how very keen she was to breastfeed.  When she asked why this happened, she was given a variety of different reasons ranging from baby was hungry to a mere shrug of the shoulders.  She spoke to her obs about it and he did not seem to be concerned about “all the fuss”.  She couldn’t understand why no-one seemed to think it was an issue because it was – for her.  In fact, she got really angry while talking about it during the massage and then she started crying – still upset after almost 3 years!!!

Ramona Lane

Nunyara Healing