A Joyous Birth member wrote this for her son. It's lovely! I thought you might like to read it : )

 Intro:

Just remembering the days when I 'attachment parented' one or two children...the comments about how they'll never sleep alone, be independent, stop breastfeeding....making a rod for my own back...they'll be spoilt etc, I thought you may be interested to read this.

Written for The Mother magazine
www.themothermagazine.co.uk this was also enclosed in Jake's 16th birthday gift, a copy of Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

    BOY
    By Emma Lewis

    To All The Parents Who Are Being Told Otherwise By Everyone,

    Take heed;

    Meet Jake.

    This is the boy who Everyone said couldn’t possibly be born in a house-truck with no running water or electricity.

    This is the boy who Everyone said I couldn’t possibly birth without medical intervention.

    This is the boy who Everyone said was a high risk pregnancy because I would not eat red meat…had a very rare blood group…was short with a small shoe size…was sooo young (20!!!).

    This is the boy who Everyone said would never stop breastfeeding…sleep alone…be independent…be able to socialize (when he learned at home).

    This is the boy who Everyone said was deprived as he didn’t get playgroup biscuits…grandma’s sweets…sausages at the village fete.

    This is the boy who Everyone said would need to leave playgroup because he bit a boy who had been terrorizing him for a year, and I refused to smack him for biting…and then it was discovered he wasn’t vaccinated – I think they thought he was carrying rabies!!!

    This is the boy who Everyone said would never be any good at maths.

    This is the boy who Everyone said we were irresponsible to continue travelling with.

    And

    This is the boy who was indeed born peacefully in a housetruck.

    This is the boy who at aged three asked me: “What would this be if it wasn’t a stone?” ?????!!!!!

    This is the boy who wanted a present “just like the ones on the Christmas cards” and was so delighted to receive a gift wrapped in sparkly paper and a bow, the contents were irrelevant.

    This is the boy who walked and carried backpacks for all the years we were vehicle-free, including at six years old 25+kms daily as we pushed a handcart around New Zealand.

    This is the boy who would perform ‘Funny Shows’ to cheer up his siblings when they were hurt or sad.

    This is the boy who would cuddle his baby siblings to sleep and continue to hold them asleep in his arms (because he knew where babies need to be).

    This is the boy who waited nine years to be in one place long enough to finally have his yearned-for silkie hens – and was so concerned for their well-being and comfort that he slept with them in the newly-built hen-house (Cluckingham Palace) for their first few nights away from their mother.

    This is the boy who didn’t mind at all about having four sisters in a row (after him), despite Everyone saying he should.

    This is the boy who, at nine years old, merrily and confidently travelled from New Zealand to France with friends for a 6 month adventure – so much for never being independent!!

    This is the boy who wrote, illustrated and published his first conservation-based book at age 11, donating all the proceeds to the trust that helps save the rare penguins he wrote of (www.yellow-eyedpenguin.org.nz).

    This is the boy who appeared on prime-time national radio and tv, and in newspapers and magazines internationally to promote the book and the penguins’ plight – despite absolutely hating the lime-light.

    This is the boy who, on starting school (at 11), totally confused and baffled the teachers with his questions, understanding, concepts and knowledge.

    This is the boy who, on initially being outcast at school, said it was “OK” because he “Liked himself”.

    This is the boy who knows how to seek until he finds the truth.

    This is the boy who brought home the class award for “being a great role model”.

    This is the boy who does just fine at maths thankyou very much (although still believes he can’t thanks to those earlier comments!).

    This is the boy who has attended more joyful, natural births (seven siblings) than most obstetricians, doctors and medical midwives.

    This is the boy who can stand up to authority when he knows it’s wrong.

    This is the boy who leads by example, despite contrary peer pressure.

    This is the boy who has a really neat bunch of mates.

    This is the boy who has (currently) found his passion in art, graphics, music and drumming.

    This is the boy who, at 16, is off for his very first, self-funded, solo adventure – back to New Zealand from Australia, where he is being welcomed back to his previous summer’s employment as he is such a conscientious, well-liked team member, and to socialize with his many, special, varied friends there.

    Happily.

    Independently.

    Freely.

    Stand strong. Be free. Fly high Jake.

    P.S. The moral of this story is: ignore Everyone Else – listen to yourself and your child and your heart that beats as one.

    P.P.S. He can also be found sneaking a peep at The Mother magazine when he thinks no one’s looking!!
    Emma & Julien have 8 naturally nurtured children aged 1-16. They have traveled widely worldwide and are currently based near Melbourne (Australia). They work extensively and passionately in the areas of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, parenting, sustainable living and children’s rights; and prioritize ‘going gently’.

    Contact: forward.up.foundation AT gmail.com

    First written for The Mother magazine www.themothermagazine.co.uk

For home birth information go to:
Joyous Birth
Australian home birth network and forums.
http://www.joyousbirth.info/
Or email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]