From: "leanne wynne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Delaying synto with active 3rd stage
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 11:27:11 +1100

Sue,
You really need to decide whether your patient wishes for an active or a physiological third stage. It can be dangerous to try and do a "half-half" sort of third stage.

If you plan a physiological third stage then you need to:

1. Dont clamp or cut the cord until it stops pulsating.
2. Put the baby to the breast as soon as possible, this will stimulate oxytocin release which works better than 10units Syntocinon ever does!
3. Allow the placenta time to separate without pulling on the cord.
4. If the woman is upright gravity will help, sitting on the toilet usually works well. 5. Wait until the woman feels some afterbirth pains, then suggest she gives a little "push" 6. Always observe for excessive bleeding but dont confuse that initial gush which indicates the placenta is separating with excesive blood loss.
7. Be patient, have faith in the normal process!

All the best,
Leanne.

Leanne Wynne
Midwife in charge of "Women's Business"
Mildura Aboriginal Health Service  Mob 0418 371862