I know a couple of MPs but this stuff is rather vague I don't know exactly how to brief them. Anything particularly clear to share with them would be appreciated!
: )
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] No Births at Ryde Birth Centre

Dear all
I might be able to shed a bit of light on Justine's comments.
One of the obstacles we had in getting Ryde Midwifery Group Practice up and running was an assurance to the Area health service that there would always be someone  (obstetric) capable of doing an emergency CS if necessary at the Ryde hospital - in case of a dire emergency.
Needless to say this has never been called upon  - but with the troubles of the Ryde General Hospital  - the RMGP is drawn into it all unwittingly  - because the RMGP can no longer assure the area heath service that an obstetrician can provide that back up at Ryde.....
Therefore this is really a timely opportunity for the RMGP to reframe the service they are providing and have it ratified by the Area health service  - without the nonsense clause that existed in the first proposal. Belmont for example does not have this clause  - and I think Ryde midwifery group practice only had it because we had to compromise a on a few fairly benign (we thought at the time) caveats in order to get started. Now we are several years down the track and looking OK  - i dont think it will be such a hurdle......

so I think Justine is correct is asserting that it will be only a blip in the process  - but a process never the less  - and for those of you getting these things up and running  - there are so many battles to be fought  -i guess we have to look at this as just another not insurmountable (but  tiresome) hurdle.

I do think it would be incredibly helpful if any consumers concerned could take it up with as many people as possible  - ie their local member of parliament, the CEO of the Area health Service, the head of Obstetrics at Northern Sydney Health, the NSW Health department , the Australian College of Midwives  - anybody who needs to know this isn't good enough ........ best wishes
Sally t.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Justine,

can you clarify what you mean? I don't understand what you're saying.
What "greater good" are women losing out to? How long will it last? When
will births be reinstated? Who is the driving force behind denying women
their intended place and mode of birth and what are their motives? Is MC
taking up the cause to fight for the consumers to have access to what
they were promised?
TIA,

I'm interested to hear the answers to these questions to Janet.

Thanks
Love Abby