Yes, I know the literature, but our health service has made it a required
screening. All women in our health service are 'offered' the screening.

warmly, Carolyn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary Murphy
  To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
  Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2006 6:43 PM
  Subject: [ozmidwifery] GBS

  Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology   Publisher:  Taylor & Francis   Issue:
Volume 25, Number 5 / July 2005   Pages:  462 - 464   URL:  Linking Options
DOI:  10.1080/01443610500160261

  Group B streptococcus disease in neonates: To screen or not to screen?

  O. Subair A1, P. Wagner , F. Omojole , H. Morgan

  A Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Whittington Hospital, London, UK

  Abstract:

  Summary

  An audit was undertaken of the prevention of early-onset Group B
streptococcus (EOGBS) disease in neonates. The prevention strategy in use
involved offering Intra-partum Antibiotic Prophylaxis (IAP) to mothers with
identified risk factors, which include maternal fever in labour > 38°C,
previous baby with GBS disease, prolonged rupture of membranes > 18 h,
pre-term labour, GBS urinary tract infection and known GBS carriage. The most
common risk factor identified was GBS carriage (41%) which was known
ante-partum but logistical problems prevented these mothers from receiving
adequate prophylaxis 4 h before delivery and so were classified as at risk of
GBS disease. We found an incidence of GBS in our unit of 0.55 per 1,000 births
over the study period. One neonate developed EOGBS disease and the mother had
no identifiable risk factor ante-partum/intra-partum. Recent recommendations
from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) could reduce
the number of babies having sepsis screens performed as the time interval from
beginning IAP to delivery has been shortened to 2 h and routine surface
cultures or blood cultures are not recommended in well newborns. The evidence
is lacking at this point to recommend universal screening for GBS in all
pregnant women but patients are increasingly aware of this option and may
request anogenital swabs to assess GBS carriage.