-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andrea Quanchi
Sent: 05 December 2006 18:06
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] retained placenta & PPH

The relationship between retained placenta and PPH is that the uterus that
is not empty can not clamp down sufficiently to prevent bleeding from the
placental site. Imagine that the placental site is about the size of a bread
and butter plate and that this is characterised by masses of bleeding
vessels that have sheared off as the placenta seperates. (Much like a huge
graze that has had the skin sheared off bleeds) The wall of the uterus is
full of fibres which surround these vessels and as the uterus becomes
smaller they clamp off the bleeding vessels thus preventing haemorrhaging.
While the seperated placenta remains in the uterus the vessels are free to
bleed and the uterus can not clamp down sufficiently to prevent it.

An elective casearean is not the answer as it may not happen again if the
person attending her stops fiddling and leaves things alone. She needs to
read up on 3rd stage choices
Andrea Quanchi