It's not necessarily the midwives preventing co-sleeping. I often hear 'the
baby's been awake all night. Would go to sleep and wake up as soon as I  put
him down.'  When  suggestions are made to co-sleep, they don't want to
"start bad habits".  a lot of women are influenced by their mothers,
partners etc,  who don't approve of co-sleeping., thank God the influence on
breast feeding isn't quite as strong as it used to be.  It's strange, these
little ones are expected to sleep on a hard, cold surface after been
snuggled up listening to mum for months.   If I remember right a co-sleeping
policy was short and sweet. Mum had to be sedative free, the bedside up and
bed as low as possible.
Ken & Maureen Ward
[EMAIL PROTECTED]