Lyle,

If you go back through the archives of ozmid, I think there was a big discussion on this about 4+ yrs ago or so. Their was an excellent article written by a midwife in ?Qld about the effects of Hep B post birth and it's effect on establishing BF. Can't remember her name, but will try and find it.

And I remember this so well because I had my 2nd baby immunized with Hep B at Day 2 (I was leaving the hosp) but I don't know whether it was co-incidence or not, but that baby and I struggled and eventually ceased BF after several months as it was taking a toll on both of us. With the 3rd baby 20 months later I refused Hep B at birth, due to this article I had read on the list (dr raised an eyebrow, but said nothing!) and had it at the 8 week visit instead. Vastly better BF experience.

Cheryl

From: "Lyle Burgoyne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Subject: [ozmidwifery] hep b @ birth
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 01:55:36 +1100

Hi ,

A number of staff in our unit have commented that babies who have Hep B
immunisation just after birth seem much more unsettled for the first
24-48 hrs than those babies who don't have the immunisation .Has anyone
else noticed this or are we just imaging things ?? Our unit has only
recently changed to offering Hep B immunisation after birth at the same
time as the Konakion,we used to give it on day 3 or 4. Interested in any
comments or if anyone knows if any studies have been done .

Thanks
Lyle

Advertisement: Amazing holiday rentals? http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eninemsn%2Erealestate%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Frsearch%3Fa%3Dbhp%26t%3Dhol%26cu%3DMSN&_t=758874163&_r=HM_Txt_Link_Holiday_Oct06&_m=EXT