The voters can and the members of Health Funds can.  We midwives cannot. We
independent midwives have all been trying for years and years. Sometimes the
ACMI has a go, but all to no avail so far. MM

  _____

This is totally unacceptable and bloody outrageous - how can we change
this???!!

Kristin

>Medicare does not recognise Midwives as 'professionals' competent or
capable of practicing without the supervision of a doctor in Australia.
Therefore it will not recompense any services provided by them to pregnant
women.
>HOWEVER: The exception is when working in a remote community :
>in which case you don't even have to be a midwife to provide pre-natal
care, enrolled nurses & aboriginal health workers with NO mid education are
considered quite competent to provide maternity care which medicare will
refund for as long as they are supervised (however loosely) by a doctor (who
of course knows much more about normal pregnancy & childbirth then any
midwife) !

>If Midwives were as qualified as a chiropractor, chiropodist, naturopath,
herbalist etc then they would get recognition.
>It would appear that we just aren't up to scratch !!!
>Our skills whilst working within a hospital immediately disappear once we
step off the premises apparently.
>Amazing stuff !
>

> > I rang medicare this this week to see on any level particually medicare
> > 16400, if they would fund childbirth education classes. Unfortuantely
> > they don't. They suggested ringing hte major health funds, I haven't
> > gotten there yet, but wuold be interested to know too...
> >
> > Rachael
> >
> >> Now all you work from home and have your own business midwives can you
> >> please tell me how I am able to offer health fund rebates IF I decided
> >> fun my own business from home???? I have been thinking of it for a
while -
> >> not homebirths as such cause I want insurance for that but other
midwifery
> >> services that I can offer?????

-- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or
unsubscribe.