Dear All

Jo and Deb, thanks for your respones.

Lisa I am sorry you are unaware of what MC does.

Just so you know.  I have 15 years experience as an advocate and lobbyist
and post graduate qualifications in the field.

Advocacy and lobbying are co-dependent.

In fact when MC sets up a local branch or group and engages in lobbying we
must have local women who want us to advocate for them personally (or local
health authorities will most often respond by saying there is no demand.

In your message you said:

This is something I read on a public forum about the MC,
 "Lobbying is a pretty dispassionate job and advocacy work can get in the
way of effective lobbying"

I would be surprised if this came from an active MCer, more likely someone
who did not know or appreciate what we do. I find lobbying very challenging
and advocacy essential to keep us relevant and representative.

MC needs a diverse range of people to support the many facets of its work.

If we all work together we can effectively lobby for systemic change whilst
we support and empower women through individual advocacy.

Lisa for the record.  I had one baby when I joined MC 7 years ago.  I know
have 6!  I am acutely aware of the challenges of volunteer community work
whilst raising a family.  Unlike midwives, this is not my profession, I
cannot claim tax deductions for attending conferences etc.

I am seriously considering lobbying/ providing media advice for money!

It would be nice to receive a supportive even if enquiring e-mail Lisa.
Your tone is not welcoming to those who have given so much to the
enhancement of midwifery in Australia.

In solidarity

Justine Caines
National President