As far as I know
Content Deployment Wizard is a windows app which uses Prime  API which is
used by OOTB content deployment.. so wizard will also fail if OOTB fails.

stsadm -o export gives same results as ContentDeploymentWizard the
difference is in import where Wizard lets you retain guids etc of the
object, while OOTB stsadm -import does not have a option to retain guids.
There is extension written by gary Laopinte stsadm -gl import2 which lets
you do preserve object identity.