Hi Alvaro,

 Attached is my base image JSON. If you look you can specifically see that
the image is set to 40Gigs. I use this base image to build a .box image
that I use to Ansible provision all of my tools. Everything works well
except the OS seems to not partition the right amount of space for root (/)
directory. How can I have Packer or Vagrant assign more memory.

I found your response here but I was wondering if there was any update?
: https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/2339

ubuntu@opal-vagrant:~$ df -h
Filesystem                                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted
on
udev                                            2.0G  4.0K  2.0G   1% /dev
tmpfs                                           396M  432K  395M   1% /run
/dev/dm-0                                    5.6G  4.5G  823M  85% /
none                                            4.0K     0  4.0K   0%
/sys/fs/cgroup
none                                            5.0M     0  5.0M   0%
/run/lock
none                                            2.0G  4.0K  2.0G   1%
/run/shm
none                                            100M     0  100M   0%
/run/user
/dev/sda1                                    236M   36M  188M  17% /boot
172.28.128.1:/Users/NFS/Shared 233G   77G  156G  34% /opt/opallabs
vagrant                                      233G   77G  156G  34% /vagrant

```
{
  "builders": [
  {
    "type": "virtualbox-iso",
    "vm_name": "base-ubuntu-1404",

    "guest_os_type": "Ubuntu_64",
    "format": "ova",

    "iso_url":
"http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso";,
    "iso_checksum":
"bc09966b54f91f62c3c41fc14b76f2baa4cce48595ce22e8c9f24ab21ac8d965",
    "iso_checksum_type": "sha256",

    "ssh_username": "ubuntu",
    "ssh_password": "meowthis!!!",
    "ssh_wait_timeout": "20m",

    "headless": false,
    "vboxmanage": [
      ["modifyvm", "{{.Name}}", "--memory", "2048"],
      ["modifyvm", "{{.Name}}", "--cpus", "4"]
    ],
    "disk_size": "40000",

    "http_directory": "http",
    "boot_wait": "3s",
    "boot_command": [
      "<esc><wait>",
      "/linux noapic ",
      "preseed/url=http://{{ .HTTPIP }}:{{ .HTTPPort
}}/allinone_preseed.cfg ",
      "hostname=ubuntu ",
      "debian-installer=en_US auto locale=en_US kbd-chooser/method=us ",
      "fb=false ",
      "keyboard-configuration/modelcode=SKIP
keyboard-configuration/layout=USA ",
      "keyboard-configuration/variant=USA console-setup/ask_detect=false ",
      "initrd=/initrd.gz -- <enter>"
    ],
    "shutdown_command": "echo 'packer' | sudo -S shutdown -P now"
  }
  ],
  "provisioners": [
    {
      "type": "file",
      "source":  "files/base_vagrant_insecure_key.pub",
      "destination": "/tmp/base_vagrant_insecure_key.pub"
    },
    {
      "type": "shell",
      "scripts": [ "scripts/base_provision.sh"]
    }
  ]
}
```

On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 9:57:43 AM UTC-7, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
wrote:

> hello
>
> I may be missing something, but I think you haven't shared anything that
> can help you.
>
> What commands you run, whats the output, what you see, what the host os,
> whats the guest, its Virtualbox? vmware? aws?
>

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Gonzo Fernandez <xxthe...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Alvaro, yes the issue is with the OS creating the partition.
>> I'm hoping there is a setting I can use to have the Os partition a bigger
>> root directory. Would it be best to use a script to resize the partition
>> somehow? Any existing examples would save me a lot of time. Thank you again
>> for the response.
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2016, at 10:28 PM, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera <kik...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> can you put the template, scripts and response file on github for review?
>>
>> the json set the size of the disk on the vm, but after that is the os
>> that create the partitions, so maybe the issue is there
>>
>> Alvaro
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 2:03 AM, Gonzo Fernandez <xxthe...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm having issues getting packer/vagrant to have a bigger '/' (root)
>>> partition size. As of now I've only gotten it to 5.6 Gigs. I've built a
>>> packer base image and have set the base-virtualbox.json value 'disk_size'
>>> to 40000 (40 Gigs). I'm able to build the base image successfully and I
>>> have another .json packer file that builds the rest of my 'goodies' on top
>>> of that base image. The problem is that when I 'vagrant up' and it finishes
>>> building I login and only see root partition of 5.6 Gigs. Where are the 40
>>> Gigs? I've looked online and people seem to say there is an issue with
>>> packer/vagrant resizing but I'm at a loss. Can anyone of you guys please
>>> help me before I blow my brains out....it's been a long day wrestling with
>>> this thing.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> violation of those guidelines may result in your removal from this mailing
>>> list.
>>>
>>> GitHub Issues: https://github.com/mitchellh/packer/issues
>>> IRC: #packer-tool on Freenode
>>> ---

> [...]