Yes it requires docker and VMware installed on the build slaves/nodes. And
also Ansible if you are using the ansible provisioner answer not
ansible-local.

If you are using VMware Player there are some additional requirements, see
the docs.

Running ansible + docker can be a bit tricky and might require a
development build from master or waiting for 0.11.0 which should be
released soon.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt_O8ggWpETm1nh3AskbPLGy4AxcR%3DNNfcg%2B1cmxSGV8PQ%40mail.gmail.com.