Oops I figured it out.  My docker install had a groupadd that was adding a
duplicate group and throwing error code 9.  I assumed because the output
was green that it was all working properly.  My bad!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/09a849b6-bf71-4b4c-a42a-637329c56542%40googlegroups.com.