I'm trying to run packer from a Teamcity agent, which means that the packer
is spawned under unprivileged service account.

If I log in to that service account interactively and run packer build it
works.

This is the build I'm running: https://github.com/boxcutter/ubuntu

It also works from the service account, if I give the service account admin
rights on the box. But if it's not admin, and it's from service I'm getting
errors.

Here are errors I'm getting with headless: false:

==> virtualbox-iso: Error configuring VirtualBox to suppress messages:
VBoxManage error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox
object!
==> virtualbox-iso: VBoxManage.exe: error: The object is not ready
==> virtualbox-iso: VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED
(0x80070005), component VirtualBoxClientWrap, interface IVirtualBoxClient
==> virtualbox-iso: Deleting output directory...
Build 'virtualbox-iso' errored: Error configuring VirtualBox to suppress
messages: VBoxManage error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the
VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: The object is not ready
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005), component
VirtualBoxClientWrap, interface IVirtualBoxClient
==> vmware-iso: Error starting VM: VMware error: Error: There was an error
in communication
==> vmware-iso: Deleting output directory...
Build 'vmware-iso' errored: Error starting VM: VMware error: Error: There
was an error in communication

==> Some builds didn't complete successfully and had errors:
--> virtualbox-iso: Error configuring VirtualBox to suppress messages:
VBoxManage error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox
object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: The object is not ready
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005), component
VirtualBoxClientWrap, interface IVirtualBoxClient
--> vmware-iso: Error starting VM: VMware error: Error: There was an error
in communication

Here are errors I'm getting with headless true:

==> virtualbox-iso: Error configuring VirtualBox to suppress messages:
VBoxManage error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox
object!
==> virtualbox-iso: VBoxManage.exe: error: The object is not ready
==> virtualbox-iso: VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED
(0x80070005), component VirtualBoxClientWrap, interface IVirtualBoxClient
==> virtualbox-iso: Deleting output directory...
Build 'virtualbox-iso' errored: Error configuring VirtualBox to suppress
messages: VBoxManage error: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the
VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: The object is not ready
VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005), component
VirtualBoxClientWrap, interface IVirtualBoxClient
==> vmware-iso: Error starting VM: VMware error: Error: Unknown error
==> vmware-iso:
==> vmware-iso: Packer detected a VMware 'Unknown Error'. Unfortunately
VMware
==> vmware-iso: often has extremely vague error messages such as this and
Packer
==> vmware-iso: itself can't do much about that. Please check the
vmware.log files
==> vmware-iso: created by VMware when a VM is started (in the directory of
the
==> vmware-iso: vmx file), which often contains more detailed error
information.
==> vmware-iso: Deleting output directory...
Build 'vmware-iso' errored: Error starting VM: VMware error: Error: Unknown
error

[...]

How can I configure the service account to run, so that the build does not
fail, without giving full admin rights?

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/0ab765e5-b65a-4a4d-9516-bef9fa5293c9%40googlegroups.com.