Thank Alvaro, that's what I have been doing but I wanted to use the method
on this webpage:

http://work.haufegroup.io/automate-ami-with-packer/

to create an ami which requires formatting the VM as an ova file. That
means adding a post-processor as shown in the page above but the metadata
would need to be added before packer does the post-processing.

Is there a way I can run a script that does what I need have then have
packer produce the ova from the result.

Right now, in a script I do the following to insert the metadata into the
ovf file and then use ovftool to create the ova myself.

    # Insert the vAppSettings.txt file into the ovf file just created
    sed -n -i -e '/  <\/VirtualSystem>/r
/opt/IBM/cmdBuild/workspace/ranger/nightly_builds/vAppSettings.txt' -e 1x
-e '2,${x;p}' -e '${x;p}' $VMDIR/$VMDIR_ovf/$VMDIR/$VMDIR.ovf

    # Convert the ovf file just created to an ova file after adding in the
Product, Version, Vendor, etc. info
    ovftool -tt=ova --skipManifestCheck $VMDIR/$VMDIR_ovf/$VMDIR/$VMDIR.ovf
$VMDIR/
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "VM build failed: Failed to convert the $VMDIR vmx to an ova
file"
        success=FALSE
        break
    fi

I can figure out how to get the ova I am current building to AWS but I was
hoping to have packer do it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/1ff41059-3f64-4861-8a5d-c67f5a561088%40googlegroups.com.