Hello,

I am planning to move one of my projects from plain Dockerfiles to Packer
builds.

I currently have two images built with Dockerfiles composing one
docker-compose.yml project as followed.

version: '3'
services:
  web:
    build: Dockerfile.web
    ports:
     - "5000:5000"
  db:
    build: Dockerfile.db

My question was: should I use one package.json per Dockerfile or should I
build both images from the same package.json?

I have seen we can use several builders and post-processors with Packer but
of what I understand, this feature mostly targets the use case of building
the same image for various platforms (e.g. Docker + Vagrant) at the same
time.

For my case here, I would like to build two different images not related to
each others and using different provisioning roles in a same playbook.

Usually, a unique Ansible playbook script is used to provision several
images according to its inventory (here I would have the web container and
db container in the inventory), but I am not sure I can do this with Packer.

Thanks in advance,

Loric

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/726b1a9c-484a-4989-943f-2716edcdc567%40googlegroups.com.