Great troubleshooting. I don't know LXC/LXD very well but I expect that
there is some network script that runs on startup and adjusts the network
settings. Looks like it is possible to get in before that has completed.

"Packer" group.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/packer-tool/CALz9Rt9NbX6xR_uY3A6YXS3ZqeqnAcYZvij4_y%3DOrxNYCuAgxg%40mail.gmail.com.