on top of what Alvaro said, which I agree with him, bear in mind the
following as per the packer documentation

source <https://www.packer.io/docs/provisioners/file.html#source> (string)
- The path to a local file or directory to upload to the machine. The path
can be absolute or relative. *If it is relative, it is relative to the
working directory when Packer is executed*. If this is a directory, the
existence of a trailing slash is important. Read below on uploading
directories.

Source: https://www.packer.io/docs/provisioners/file.html

Probably to avoid this confusions ( trust me I've ran in the same issue in
the past you have now ) in source , use Absolute paths which will avoid
this behaviour... just bear in mind the user which executes packer has
enough privileges to go all the way down the path to the file ;)

On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 6:19:46 AM UTC+13, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
wrote:

> If this fails:
>
> if you can do ls  packer/api-clients/database.yml
>
> is because the file is not there
>

> seems the path should be
>
>  app/packer/api-clients/database.yml
>

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 6:20 PM, <an...@vnda.com.br <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alvaro,
>>
>> My current directory is like this:
>>
>> api_v1
>> ├── template.json
>> ├── app
>> │   ├── bin
>> │   ├── config
>> │   ├── packer
>> │   │   ├── api-clients
>> │   │   │   └── database.yml
>> │   ├── lib
>> │   ├── log
>> │   ├── ...
>>

>> Notice that the template.json (Packer template) is OUTSIDE of my packer
>> folder.
>>
>> I'm running packer build this way: ./packer build ami.json
>>
>> from within API_V1 folder.
>>

>> On Friday, March 9, 2018 at 2:09:03 PM UTC-3, Alvaro Miranda Aguilera
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> whats your current directory ?
>>>
>>> from where you run packer?