I am running PacketFence 7.3.0 on a RHEL7 system and have
encountered some issues with device registration. First, registration
though the https://hostname/device-registration page did not work at all
until I installed the patch at
https://github.com/inverse-inc/packetfence/commit/10223d70146120a4e2a63bd169536ebcd82917c4.
So thank you julsemaan for that patch.

       My question is this: Is there an easy way to let the user choose
a Role through the device-registration page?

       In our captive portal the first thing users have to do is chose
either "Computer" or "Device". This is easy to do in the captive portal.
I just have a "Choice" portal module which lets them choose between two
authentication modules, each of which does a "set_role" upon successful
login. These Roles end up on different VLANs.

       Unfortunately in the device-registration page there is no mention
of the device role. The Role is not among the device information shown
in the list of registered devices. Also, when registering a device there
is no method for selecting the Role. It appears that whichever Role was
chosen in the Device Registration selected for that Connection Profile
is the one which is applied.

       I could probably do the necessary coding to add Role selection to
the device-registration page. Before I do that I just want to make sure
that I'm not missing an easier way to do it.

       I would also like to note that in the unpatched PacketFence 7.3.0
is it possible to select multiple roles for a Device Registration. The
patch I mentioned above changed the multiple selection box for Role in a
Device Registration Entry to a drop-down list. This suggests to me that
someone might have intended to allow multiple roles to be associated
with one device registration. Perhaps the idea was to let the user
select a role after registering? If this is the case then I would love
to know so that I don't duplicate someone else's efforts.

--
Marcus Lauer
IT Systems Analyst