Hello Martin,

The difference between machine authentication and user authentication is very minimal.

When you join a windows computer to the domain then in the AD computers OU you will have a computer account and when you configure your supplicant to do computer authentication then the username will be host\computer_name.

With user authentication the only difference us the format of the username (bob versus host\computer_name).

So you can use 802.1x authentication with peap-mschap v2 even if the device is not joined to the domain by doing user auth.

Also if you want to do eap-tls then you will need to have the ca public key of your pki and put it in the file eap.conf (CA_file = /usr/.....ca.pem)

Then if a device do eap-tls with a certificate signed by your pki then radius will allow the access.