Dear Thomas,

Sorry to revive a crazy old thread. But you can get google ouath to work
with iphones if you get google to whitelist your API client id. Its manual
but relatively straightforward.

You need to contact  oauth-h...@google.com and provide them with your API
oauth ID.

Its working for me now.

Otherwise you need your users to select "use this network as is" and then
trigger the captive portal by visiting "neverssl.com" or something like
that. But far from ideal I know.